Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Spicy Peel and Eat Shrimp

My husband and I live on a cul-de-sac, and when we first moved in we met a few of our neighbors, but not all of them. We decided to have a block party and invite all the neighbors to get to know one another. It was a huge success and one of the most wonderful surprises was a Portuguese couple that lived at the end of the cul-de-sac. This older, retired couple was frequently seen, but no one had actually met them. They showed up at the block party bearing a dish that was absolutely divine. It was a spicy shrimp dish that for me was like crack. In an effort not to piss off my neighbors I restrained myself and ate only a 1/4 of the dish instead of the whole thing. A few weeks later I was craving shrimp, but I had never gotten the recipe from the Portuguese couple. So I began deconstructing the recipe as best I could from memory. What I created was similar but not quite the same. I made the dish for our New Years eve party and it was such a hit I had to run back in the kitchen and make some more. I made the dish again a few weeks later when I friend (Superstar) was coming over and between the two of us, we devoured an entire pound of spicy shrimp. I did eventually get the originally recipe from the Portuguese couple and I might share that later on down the road.

I'm still learning how to make good food pics. Sorry.



So I present to you, my own concoction of spicy shrimp.



Ingredients


7.75oz can of El Pato
1/2 Stick of butter
3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp white wine (Chardonnay or Pinot Gricio work best - Zinfandel's are too sweet)
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lb peal and eat shrimp, raw
1 loaf french or sourdough bread (optional)

Instructions

Mix first 5 ingredients together in a sauce pan and stir until butter is melted. Using a medium to large frying pan, saute shrimp in olive oil until just pink. Reduce heat to low, combine shrimp and sauce in pan and cook for 10 minutes. Pour entire mix into a round casserole dish to serve.

Slice the loaf of bread into 1/2 thick pieces and dip in the remaining sauce for another tasty treat.

6 comments:

El Padrino said...

that's what im talking about

Nikki said...

Holy Crap Dirty!

This sounds really good - and I HATE anything that swims...but I can do shrimp sometimes...but not like that....you know what I'm saying. LOL

What would I serve with this?

VERIFICATION WORD - ymrub.

BAHAHAHAHA. Can't get any more food related.

Superstar said...

DB: This was by far some of the best shrimp I ever had!
*note*
Bloggers she made this for me and it is TO DIE FOR!

Art_Fulldodger said...

ilrilwgaSounds like a great receipe. I only have one problem. What is "El Pato"? What can I say I'm a Gringo from Michigan. Help a brother out

Nikki said...

DUDE!!!!

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

I tried this, this weekend.

I BURNT THE FUCKING SHRIMP!

OMG. Don't let me near the kitchen again.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Charles was so upset. LOL He loves seafood.

It wasn't funny at the time, but it is now. I can't cook worth a damn.

LMAO

Dude. I need classes....or maybe glasses - or both.

Laugh it up girlie - yes, I know it's funny.

mollymcmo said...

i've had this spicy shrimp dish before from a portugese friend. very yum!

m